Sunday, March 8, 2009

Weekend? What Weekend?

What a weekend! Having run errands and such all day yesterday, we found ourselves having to finish them up today. Which I hate, because to me, Sundays are lazy days, to be measured out in laundry, food prep for the week, organizing for the week ahead. But no! Not today!
My dearest darling husband is busy preparing for a "hog-huntin' trip" with three of his friends. So, yesterday, instead of getting the light-weight pair of camo pants he wanted, he instead came home from work on Friday limping painfully after tearing the heel off his boot on the step to his work truck. So, this necessitated a trip to the (World Famous!) Boot City store south of Terre Haute. That's all well and good, except that this man is so incredibly persnickety about various things, namely his hair, jeans and BOOTS.

After a tasty breakfast of eggs, toast, grits and coffee, which I prepared lovingly, we set off. The trip itself was uneventful, the day was warmish, mid-60's and windy, but overall, lovely. Bearing in mind that we were to have dinner with friends that evening around 6-ish, we were determined to get all our errands done. This, itself, is a joke, as the trying on of boots was involved.

Leslie, the salesclerk, was extremely helpful and personable. She patiently fetched size after size of the style of boot Dearest Husband wanted, while I stood just as patiently nearby, watching with amusement. "This boot is too tight, that one too loose!" "Yes, and this one is bunching my toes up, but that one is too loose-feeling!" "Well, these fit, but the toes are tight, and this side must be stitched wrong as the side of the boot is creasing in and rubbing against my leg." Helpful Leslie oiled and stretched the offending side, to no avail, it still rubbed his leg and irritated him. Back to the bench to try more boots, same style, different sizes/widths...sigh...

Finally, after 2 hours of what I call his impersonation of Jeff Foxworthy--"This boot....or this boot...?" He decided on a pair, paid for them and off we went back home, staying only long enough to grab a sandwich before heading out again, only this time in the opposite direction, to 'complete' our errands. Ha. Double Ha.

After a 10 minute wait to exchange a bluetooth headset for work, (required, as he drives a commercial vehicle), he decides to come back, as the guy he needs to talk to is busy with a couple doing a phone upgrade. Off to Radio Shack to exchange the slider phone he got 3 weeks ago with one like I got 3 weeks ago. (On a related side note, I did research, comparative shopping, and soul-searching before deciding on the phone I wanted to upgrade to, enduring grunts and sighs and whining from him that I was driving him crazy with researching said phone I wanted). Phone switching completed, we returned to the AT&T store to exchange the headset. From there, it was time to head to our friends for dinner.

Bear in mind that he still needed to buy a light-weight pair of camo pants. And, I needed to do our weekly grocery shopping. The plan then became--"OK, we'll get up early, go get my pants, oh and a hard case for my new phone, and then we'll go get groceries together..." Yeah, and we went to bed at Midnight...

So, being tired and having gotten to bed so late, we woke up at 8:30 a.m.--only it wasn't 8:30, it was 9:30, courtesy of DST, which I despise with a passion. Needless to say, being in Sunday mode, it was Noon before we rolled out the door.

At least the trying on of pants wasn't as bad as the boots! Four pairs later, he had what he wanted, plus a really cool little S-carbiner for his keys and a pair of sweat shorts. By now, I had to pee from all the coffee required to motivate me to leave the house today. Since the sporting goods store had no bathroom of its own, we had to find the bathrooms at the mall. Mission accomplished, we stopped by the pet store on our way back out, ooo-ing and ahh-ing over the puppies, then made a stop at a kiosk selling cell phone accessories. After finding a compatible hard case for the new phone, we left the mall, in search of lunch, having missed/skipped breakfast altogether. Ah, Buchetto's Pizza! Yea! As usual, the pizza (sweet lil razorback--pepperoni, fresh basil, bacon and smoked sausage), was excellent. While waiting for our pizza, Dearest tried to remove the hard case to see how it came off the new phone, and proceeded to break it. Of course. This necessitated a return trip to the mall. Case exchanged, off to our daughter's to see her and the g-babies, one of whom was still at his dad's...sigh.

While there, I received an email alert from the Weather Channel about a tornado warning. Great! We headed for home, stopping to fill my truck up for the week. Six more emails in quick succession, one alerting us to the fact that a tornado had been spotted very near where we live, sent me into a "get the hell out of my way, people, I've gotta get home and see if my dog and house are OK" mode. All was well, thank the stars, and now, as I post this, the sun is shining.

The upshot is, since groceries were not obtained yet, that, after work, in addition to doing some banking (that shoulda-woulda-coulda got done Saturday), I have to get groceries. I could have went this afternoon, but, dammit, I've run all I want to this weekend.

On a positive note, however, I spent the entire weekend with Dearest, and that's better than getting all the errands done in one day. Smiles...


  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! Weekend time travels twice as fast as regular time. It's a true fact.

  2. Welcome to blogging, Lunablu! And Irene's right – unfortunately. Weekend time does go so much faster than weekday time.